Around the country, more than 28,900 individuals are living in assisted living communities with nearly 1 million licensed beds, according to data from the American Health Care Association (AHCA) and the National Center for Assisted Living (NCAL).
If you have a loved one that is considering assisted living in Saint Petersburg FL as an option for their future, there are several things that you can consider to help ensure that you find the right place to call home.
One of the most important factors to your loved one’s happiness at an assisted living facility is ensuring they like and get along with the caregivers and staff at the facility. During your visit, there are some essential visits that you can ask the staff to help you get a better feel for how it will be living there, including:
- How many caregivers are on duty overnight and during the day?
- What kind of experience and training does your staff have?
- Do you have a registered nurse, licensed vocational nurse, or certified nursing assistant on staff 24/7?
- Which organizations audit the facility?
According to research from AHCA and NCAL, typical services options include:
- 24-hour supervision and assistance
- Exercise, health, and wellness programs
- Housekeeping and maintenance
- Medication management or assistance
When you are visiting the facility, be sure to get a bite to eat if you can. Some questions you will want to ask about food and meals include:
- How many meals are provided per day?
- Can meals be tailored to a resident’s specific dietary needs, restrictions, or special requests?
- Can meals be prepared for special occasions, such as birthdays and holidays?
Finding the best-assisted living facility for your loved one can be stressful., but an important decision. Once you know, however, what to look for, you can make the best decision possible.